Thursday, February 10, 2011

why three heads are better than one

Today I and two of my writer friends got together for a plot clinic. We didn't know that's what we were doing; we thought we were just gathering for our usual writing group meeting,but we were all too tired to write, so we decided to help each other out with plot instead, and between the three of us, we solved each of our plot problems.

Each of us had ideas the writer of the story couldn't see. So good to have three heads instead of one!

A plot strategy that I've found useful (and thanks to my friend Alex for this), is a little story that goes like this:

Protagonist gets into a situation
the situation becomes a problem
the problem gets worse
the protagonist almost solves the problem, but not quite
the problem gets worse
the protagonist solves the problem.

When I'm struggling with plot, I always fall back on this. Thanks Alex.

No comments:

Post a Comment