Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I've been wondering why people keep telling me that the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a feminist book. What's so feminist about a story that's all about violence against women? It may be a thriller about finding the man who "did it" and punishing him, but isn't that just a platform to write about violence of the grossest kind against women? And what's so feminist about a lead character who is sleeping with a much older man, (who already has a lover), and who buys herself a pair of boobs the first opportunity she gets. There's even a little girl on girl action. Sounds like a certain kind of guy's wet dream to me, and it sure makes me wonder what the word feminist means these days. I get the whole thing about being able to be feminine and feminist. Way to go, I say. But violence against women? Sexual violence? no thanks. Surely that doesn't fit under the name feminist. Argh... Had to rant...

No comments:

Post a Comment