Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Living Art

Walking home today I was thinking about all of the art that surrounds us. The cakes my cousin makes for her friends, the flower arrangements I saw at an art opening. The quilts my Mum makes. All those things that we love and which make our lives beautiful, but which no one ever pays for or gives us awards for or interviews us about. The home art. I'd like to start celebrating these small bits of art that people, usually women, but not always, bring into my life. I'm pondering ways to do this, and thinking about what makes art art. Why are some types of art things that can be sold for lots of money or currated on a wall for many people to enjoy and other pieces of art we just say oh that's nice and never think about it again. There's something there about how capital A art is more thought provoking, or pushes us in some way. But the home art holds something else in it. An expression of creativity, a fine use of colour or texture. These things are often gifts of love. These are important expressions of art too aren't they? These are my musings of the day as I walk home with the dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment